April 25, 2011

God is Forgiving

I love God.  I went to my mom's corporate worship yesterday and listened to a sermon about forgiveness.  I'll admit, I was a little preoccupied with babies and toddlers crying around me, but I think I picked up the metamessage he was trying to pass along.  He talked about how we, as Christians, need to be forgiving of one another as an example to the world of what forgiveness looks like.  The verse he was working from is Matthew 18:21-22:


Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”   Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven times.

The preacher said he believes the commandment of forgiveness is up in the top five commandments along with the Greatest CommandI have to agree, and I would even go farther to say that forgiveness of others IS loving others.  


The part I was hoping to hear most in the sermon was about forgiving those who are not Christians.  He may have said it.  Remember I was busy with babies.  

I don't know if I've ever stated this, but I believe the Bible is truth.  I also know I interpret passages (as everyone does) to meet the needs of my life--so they make sense to me and are applicable.  For instance in Matthew 7:2-4

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?

Obviously, I've never had a plank in my eye (but I understand the metaphor).   Moving on.     

Right before his death, Jesus made a plea to God about those who were crucifying him--forgive them.  He was asking God to forgive non-Christians.  I'm going to avoid the controversial route of what I believe and talk to those who believe salvation comes through acceptance of Christ and acceptance of Christ only.  I, too, believe this, but I have caveats, and I wish to avoid that argument for the time being.  So how can God forgive those who are not Christians?  Isn't that the very meaning of the unsaved.  Quite the contrary, I believe.  Salvation and forgiveness are not the same.  (Note:  I edited the definition for forgive to remove those definitions containing the word "pardon."  I think we tread muddy waters when we move from forgiveness to pardon.)
 
sal·va·tion

1. the act of saving or protecting from harm, risk, loss, destruction, etc.

2. the state of being saved or protected from harm, risk, etc.

3. a source, cause, or means of being saved or protected from harm, risk, etc.

4. Theology . deliverance from the power and penalty of sin; redemption.

for·give 
to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies.
Okay, can we see they are a little different? Here's my opinion, God can forgive those who are non-Christian.  Jesus asks Him to do just that when he was being crucified in Luke 23:34:
Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
I think, if God can forgive non-Christians, we NEED to forgive the non-Christians.  Live as resurrected people.  Love God, love others, forgive others, forgive ourselves.  
How I know I'm forgiven?  He gave me these people.





No comments:

Post a Comment