January 28, 2009

This might just be a useful tool..

So I just opened my work email to read..

"Between this afternoon and Friday afternoon, some of our co-workers will be receiving lay-off notices."

This comes from our executive director due to recent changes in funding from the state. Most of you know that I am brand new to this position and therefore am one of the lowest on the totem pole. While I am fully confident in God's ability to provide for me, I worry about what this is going to do to the communities we serve. In an economy and society that is a breeding ground for mental illness, now does not seem like the most appropriate time to pull funding for mental illness. The state's goal is to keep those suffering from severe emotional disturbances out of the hospital and in the community.. hence my job. So a few years ago they pulled funding from hospitals and put their resources toward community based services. Now they are pulling all resources. I can't imagine the devastation that withholding treatment from these children and adults is going to cause.

So the prayer I am asking from you now is not only for my job, but for the people who are going to suffer from those mental health providers losing their jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment